Microsoft DNS as forwarder to a UNIX 8.2.3REL DNS server, what's happening?

HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl
Wed Apr 4 13:56:09 UTC 2001

Gentle people,

Walked today into a real weird thing.

We have NT 4.0 SP4 setup as DNS forwarders to our DNS nameservers running on
UNIX.

everthing is working, cache is slowly filling, until I noticed something
weird.

the UNIX dns server are rootnameservers (since we're not connected to the
net) and serve 10.in-addr.arpa, domain1.nl  and zone1.domain1.nl.  UNOX1 is
SOA for all this   (db.domain, db.zone1, and reverse lookup in db.10.

The microsoft DNS manager is showing us the following though

<machine>

    +-- Cache

           + arpa

           + nl

             + domain1

                 + zone1

                     + unox1

Why does the DNS on microsoft think unox1 is a zone?
Needless to say I tried to dig unox1.zone1.domain1.nl which didn't return
any answers.
Also in the in-addr arpa, lots of weird things going on, we see a
0.in-addr.arpa, a 255.in-addr.arpa (not hosted on the UNOX1)
and even worse it thinks that under 10-inaddr.arpa there is another 10 zone,
which if we click it gives a red cross saying connection error.

I'm not really a fan of Microsoft, and certainly have problems with the way
they deal with DNS, but this is something which puts me totally in the blue

Any experience from anybody with this?

Kind Regards / Met vriendelijke Groet,

Gody Keijzer

Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit
operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2
bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.