More backround: Interesting problem.

nicolew at icehouse.net nicolew at icehouse.net
Wed Apr 4 03:08:35 UTC 2001

Alright so, here's the whole boring story:

The domain is dossmarketing.com. The current ip shows as 207.53.161.99. The
existing registration points to Verio's name servers a.ns.verio.com and
t.ns.verio.com (I believe).

Originally, dossmarketing.com moved from CCNETs to Icehouse when CCNETs closed
up and moved out of the country. I made the appropriate changes with NSI to
point to ns0.icehouse.net and ns1.icehouse.net. I figured everything would be
alright because I do this serveral times over on an almost daily basis. Well, a
week into the change, my dns has been updated, and NSI shows the appropriate
changes to Icehouse....but lookups yield a response that 207.53.161.99 is the
ip address when it SHOULD be 204.203.53.197. Which is a valid ip within my
assigned classes.

So, I worked with Verio because I could not contact anyone with CCNETs to make
sure that they weren't still broadcasting and we were getting conflicts. Verio
assured me that the classes assigned to CCNETs had been confiscated since
December of 2000. This process began in early February. So, they swipped the
class as a final measure. Well, weeks went by, STILL, the ip did not update.
However, all lookups yielded the results of the appropriate mx and name servers.

So, then, after consulting with a Verio tech it was decided to move the
registration to Verio to see if we could override any existing broadcasts. In
mid-March we moved from ns0.icehouse.net and ns1.icehouse.net to b.ns.verio.com
and s.ns.verio.com. And, as it turned out, they asked me to swap over to
a.ns.verio.com and t.ns.verio.com and they would forward the information
appropriately.

Which leaves us to the present. Where we have name servers showing correctly,
and an mx record showing correctly, but that same ol' ip address that they've
had since day one....which is now being used as a testing server at Verio.

I've spent countless hours in the offices of Verio and IEA (both are in the
vicinity of my office in Spokane), and still nothing. Which is why I bring this
bizzare tale to the world.

Hopefully that answers some questions. I would even be thrilled if this wasn't
enough and someone wanted to call my office for more information. I'm losing a
bit of sanity over this, and I'm working with customers who think I have
control of the world.

Nicole