Multiple Master Servers

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Apr 2 20:40:33 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 10:38:13AM -0700, Morris Balamut wrote:
> Couple of questions,
>
> 1. Does BIND officially support multiple masters? I have been told that
> while it works,
>    it is not really supported. What's the story?

To the resolvers, all servers are peers.  The resolver will resolve
from any one of the "peer servers".  It does not differentiate among
them.

When you maintain name servers, you are certainly welcome to designate
several of them masters for the same zone.  There is no standard,
however, for how you would then keep them synchronized.  You would have
to keep them synchronized yourself.  The current standards for
synchronizing slave servers with master servers surely seem simpler
than that.

> 2. In the case of multiple masters on a network running DDNS, is there am
> issue of
>     synchronization of the masters if one or more of them to not receive or
> for some
>     reason can not handle the DDNS update?

Exactly so, which is why the concept of multiple masters doesn't seem
very reasonable.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B