syslog messages

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 2 15:22:48 UTC 2001

    Wade> I found a message in the syslog by daemon.info
    Wade> Forwarding source address is [0.0.0.0].37268
    Wade> Should I be concerned or is this just the daemon notifying
    Wade> of something wrong?

Neither. It's a standard message from a BIND8 server at start-up or
reload time. The server uses a random non-privileged port when
querying another name server. The message indicates your server is
using port number 37268. 0.0.0.0 denotes the wildcard IP address,
INADDR_ANY. This means the source address of the query is filled in
by the OS depending on which interface the query gets sent from.