BIND-9.1.1 and slave zone problem

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Apr 2 13:29:32 UTC 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:58:33PM +0200, Roy Arends wrote:
>
> > be a bug if the nameserver allows this (yes, it was "allowed" in earlier
> > versions). The "servfail" error means that the queried nameserver was
> > unable to process this query due to a problem with the nameserver.
> > Probably because the nameserver rejected the rz.tu-bs.de. zone.
>
> I just thought it would be so smart and ask the master server...

A resolver (whether part of a nameserver or not) does not know which of
the 5 NS records is master. (Note that the SOA MNAME is informational). It
would then have to query all x other nameservers, which SHOULD have the
same info to begin with, so there is no point in querying the others
anyway.

Regards,

Roy Arends
Nominum