which run level does named need

Razvan Bruma razvan at rartel.ro
Mon Apr 2 09:51:44 UTC 2001

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, adrian boliston wrote:

	There's no such thing as a "good" or "bad" piece of software as
long as it does its job properly. To use it or not is a matter of personal
preference. A gun, as long as it kills, is good. To use it -- that's
another problem, which doesn't have anything to do with the gun itself.
	But this is a question which should be discussed elsewhere. So any
follow-ups on this list is, from my point of view, greatly discouraged.

> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:56:59 +0100
> From: adrian boliston <adrian at boliston.com>
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
> Newsgroups: comp.protocols.dns.bind
> Subject: Re: which run level does named need
>

> tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com wrote:
> >
> >         Ick, linuxconf.  In my opinion this is an inherently bad
> >         tool that promotes lack of knowledge of sysadmins.  In
> >         any case, BIND does not "require" any specific runlevel
> >         to operate.  You should start it in whatever runlevels
> >         your box runs in that you would need to query DNS,
> >         or resolve DNS queries.  In the case of Linux, 3 4 and 5
> >         should be fine (even though runlevel 4 is "unused")
>
> OK so some advanced linux users might think it is lame to use linuxconf,
> but surly it is a good tool for people who are new to linux and who have
> recently migrated from windows.
>
> Some people also think it is lame to install the rpm versions of BIND &
> CACHING-NAMESERVER rather than compile from the source code, but if you
> want to get bind up & running with the minimum of fuss then surely all
> these aids cannot be that bad?

---
Razvan Bruma
Unix System Administrator