NXDOMIAN errors

Glover George dime at gulfsales.com
Mon Sep 11 15:39:25 UTC 2000

First of all, I have read the man, the faq, and the archived mailing lists.
I couldn't understand the answers and they don't apply to me.  That said,
here's my problem.

I have a DNS server set up on the firewall of our network.  IPchains rules
only allow internal users to use it (therefore, you can tell I'm not the
authority for my domain).  All addresses on the internal network are private
addresses.  I set up a DNS server so that all internal machines would use it
for internal DNS and external DNS (basically, if it's just relaying outside
requests back to the clients).

The error message I am getting in my /var/log/messages is this:

Oct 11 10:29:18 fire named[4201]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
gulfsales.com?

Now, I don't know why this error is popping up because I am no DNS or BIND
guru.  Everything else seems to work fine.  I have nice resolution and
reverse resolution of addresses.

This message is repeated about every 2 minutes.  Thanks.

I'll give you more info if you need it.