PTRs for subdomains?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Sep 19 22:37:44 UTC 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:24:52PM +0100, Nuno Teixeira wrote:
> I have the reverse record with PTRs configured to all domains at my server.
> I'd like to know if it is necessary to configure PTRs to subdomains too.
>
> My problem is that I have 39 domains at my server and about 300 subdomains.

Every IP address that is under your control should have a reverse-DNS
PTR record.  This is totally independent of domains and subdomains.
But if the addresses in your subdomains are distinct and different
addresses from those in your higher-level subdomains, then you need to
get reverse DNS domains set up for them.

Note that if you have multiple domains using IP addresses from, e.g.,
209.10.167.*, then you only need to have one reverse-DNS domain for all
of these, namely, "167.10.209.in-addr.arpa".

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B