secondary dns acting up

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Sep 19 10:59:53 UTC 2000

    Thomas> Hi im having a few problems with my secondary dns. After i
    Thomas> put a new server on the network it refuses to accept
    Thomas> NOTIFY's from my master dns.

    Thomas> Sep 19 11:41:11 jerry named[16760]: rcvd NOTIFY(domain.dk, IN, SOA) from [xxx.xxx.xxx.x].1073
    Thomas> Sep 19 11:41:11 jerry named[16760]: rcvd NOTIFY for "domain.dk", name not one of our zones

Show the config files and real names and IP addresses! Why hide useful
information that would help to identify the source of the problem?

Something at address xxx.xxx.xxx.x sent a NOTIFY message for the
domain.dk zone (grr!) from port 1073 to your server. Your server does
not believe that it is a slave (secondary) server for that zone. There
are two explanations.
[1] The owner of domain.dk has screwed up by falsely claiming your
server slaves that zone.
[2] You've screwed up by not configuring you server as a slave for
domain.dk.

Since you hid the IP address and the actual domain name - all the
servers for the real domain.dk zone are answering authoritatively -
it's hard to say exactly where the fault lies.

Next time, supply the actual IP addresses and domain names. That
allows someone to interrogate the name servers, check out the
delegations, etc, etc. When you're ill, do you just tell the doctor
"I'm sick" or "my back hurts" when you've actually got a headache?
Would you expect your doctor to diagnose the problem when you don't
tell them what's actually wrong?