newbie question -- simple dns

Len Conrad lconrad at Go2France.com
Tue Sep 19 07:26:46 UTC 2000

>However, I can't set up any of my own computers as a subset of this
>domain.  For example, I'm trying to add ftp.malichi.net as a computer in
>this domain.  For right now I'm trying to make the ftp computer be the
>same as the dns server for testing purposes:  Here is my named.conf file:

>// Config file for caching only name server

look ok

>Here is my malichi.net file:

looks ok, too

>It seems that now I should be able to restart bind and then do 'ping
>ftp.malichi.net', correct?

yes

>But, ping and nslookup both complain that host
>doesn't exist.  Any suggestions on what to do to be able to add computers
>as I please to my domain?  Thanks.

dig @149.159.118.4 ftp.malichi.net a

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @149.159.118.4 ftp.malichi.net a
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 6
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ftp.malichi.net, type = A, class = IN

;; Total query time: 134 msec
;; FROM: mgw1.meiway.com to SERVER: 149.159.118.4
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 19 09:23:01 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 33

# dig @149.159.118.4 malichi.net a

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @149.159.118.4 malichi.net a
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 6
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      malichi.net, type = A, class = IN

;; Total query time: 136 msec
;; FROM: mgw1.meiway.com to SERVER: 149.159.118.4
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 19 09:23:26 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 29  rcvd: 29

and DNS is running at least.

Into named.conf, paste the logging statement from my site
http://BIND8NT.meiway.com and see what named.run comes up with.  I
think you'll figure it out from there.

Len