load balancing ...

ray at doubleclick.net ray at doubleclick.net
Tue Sep 19 00:08:26 UTC 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Tony S. Yuan wrote:

> You can take a look on my company's Global Dispatch, it can do
> dynamic load balancing based on latency, load and availibities of
> your servers or clusters.

Not to stay on this off-topic too long, but funny you mention GD ...

We deliver >2billion ads/day using Global Dispatch (as of last Friday,
new record :) As crufty as the site-integration is, GD basically
works. High-maintenence and the number of moving parts (schedulers,
agents) can get out of control for large sites, but most Resonate
clients don't have anywhere near the requirements of DCLK, for them
the out-of-box product should be fine.

Other people use ArrowPoint or Alteon or Cisco LocalDirector or F5
Labs' BigIP or HydraWeb or IBM WebSphere, etc. etc. If all you want is
to have one big cluster of webservers behind a fast load-balancer,
Alteon/ArrowPoint (or LD if you have one already) would work great.

However if you have multiple PoPs at different datacentres, and want
to dynamically balance traffic between those locations (including
intelligent bleed-over), or want to run on your own hardware, then
Resonate CD/GD is pretty much the only game.

Too bad you lost some of your best field engineers (to Speedera) ...
We are still running some hackware by Richard Day, sad :)