Can I be a parent for a zone and a slave for a subdomain?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 18 20:48:26 UTC 2000

Michele Chubirka wrote:

> But if I delegate a subdomain, the entry in my db file lists the
> nameserver(s) for that delegated domain. So then  how does named decide
> where to go?!

If a nameserver is master or slave for a zone, it has a full copy of everything
in the zone. It doesn't need to "go" anywhere to get the data, so it doesn't
use those NS records to resolve queries in the zone.

> Won't I get lots of non-authoritative answers for anything in
> that delegated subdomain if I do it this way?

See above. You're not "go"ing anywhere so you're not getting answers,
non-authoritative or otherwise.

> Will it check the db file
> which has been zone transferred first instead of following the pointer to
> the subdomain's name server?

It will load the db file when it starts up, so it'll already be in memory.
It'll answer from that in-memory data.

> Is this really the best way to do this?

Depends on what your requirements are, of course. Generally speaking, the more
slaves you have for a zone, the better performance and resiliency you obtain
for that zone. As explained above and previously, it doesn't hurt anything for
a server to be master for a parent zone and slave for a child zone, or
_vice_versa_, so why not define it that way?

> What
> about the in-addr.arpa files, won't  I have conflicts with that? Instead of
> pointing to a nameserver for the delegated zone, they'll have hostname
> entries.

in-addr.arpa is a separate branch of the DNS namespace. Whatever you do in
in-addr.arpa doesn't really impact what you do in other parts of the namespace
or _vice_versa_, as long as you're not exceeding the capacity of your
nameserver(s) or whatnot.

> Wouldn't it be better to have the subdomains be secondaries for
> each other?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. You could do *both* if you want to be
redundant to the max.

- Kevin