Why does INTERNIC require two nameservers?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 18 17:26:30 UTC 2000

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 06:39:23PM +0200, Kart wrote:
> "PostNoEmail" <i_am_not at play.com> wrote in message
> news:ss5f8424h3t27 at corp.supernews.com...
> > Clearly the answer is to provide redundancy in case one server fails. But,
> > increasingly I see nameserver pairs differing by one IP address. Obviously
> > they are on the same subnet, and I suspect many are just aliases for the
> > same machine!
> Hey ! the 3rd Reich reign has ended. Let people live.

That was totally uncalled for.

A failure of "all" domain name servers is a major problem for those in
that domain, but a major annoyance for anyone trying to deal with that
domain.  Hence the original rule.

I suspect that, once one registrar decided not to require it, others
did the same so as to continue to get as much of the $$$ pie as
possible.  Only those with more net discipline than greed would have
not.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B