Compiling error under Slackware

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 18 16:39:45 UTC 2000

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:56:38PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> 5) Deleted-but-still-open files (counted by "df" but not "du).
>
> 6) Sparse ("holey") files ("du" counts their apparent block usage, "df" their real
> usage).

And if we were still using the Sixth Edition or PWB file systems, I
could tell you about the little-known file system Black Hole into which
hundreds of kilobytes, and even megabytes, were once known to fall.
;-)  You're right, I did forget those.  Sparse files are rarer, except
in some database apps.  With gigabytes, who cares?  ;-)  And I always
take the machine down to single user mode before I do any file system
stats that I minimally trust.  ;->

I had some utilities that I wrote, once, to preserve the sparseness of
a file over copying and backup operations.  Do any such still exist?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B