New user

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sun Sep 17 02:14:55 UTC 2000

> I have a fixed IP address. Do you know of where i might find easy =
steps on
> how to set this up?

Hmm. There is nothing much special about that. You could look at
	a) the BIND documentation at www.isc.org. It has a good online =
configuration guide
	b) look at the DNS Resource DIrectory www.dns.net/dnsrd which has quite =
a lot of info
	c) I think www.linux.org has a DNS HOWTO but I never really read it.

FInaly there is the good book: DNS and BIND (3rd edition) by Albitz/Liu =
(O'Reilly). Might be overkill
for a home-user but is very good.

One more thing I forgot to mention: Some cable networks seems to try to =
prohibit customers
to run servers and micght actually try and block some ports. But unless =
that really happens you
will not have much problems.

As I guess that your system will not be turned on 24hrs a day, you will =
need a secondary nameserver
elsewhere to also serve your zone. There are severl options for this:
	a) Your ISP might do that, but then again maybe not
	b) sometimes the registrar or registry you obtain your domain from =
provides such
	   service, often for a fee, sometimes integrated with the registration =
service. Shop around
	c) Maybe a friend with  fixed IP address himself could run secondary =
for your service. Just make
	   sure that he is online 24hrs. There is no use in using secondary =
nameservers that are similarly
	   disconnected at random times.
	d) you might want to go with some free DNS service =
(www.granitecanyon.com is one). They also do=20
	   have some documentation.
	   Note that services like this in the past had quality problems =
(connectivity etc) and you usually=20
	   get what you pay for.=20

I hope this helps

mathias