Secondary for two zones

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sun Sep 17 02:05:44 UTC 2000

> Am I right in thinking that I can be a secondary for two zones? The
> secondary server for my zone can also be a secondary for someone =
else's
> zone. Is that correct?

Sure, you can be authoritative for many zones, primary for some, =
secondary for others.

Just add the relevant zone statements into your named.conf and reload =
BIND.

You obviously need to know the IP address of the new zone's master and =
they must allow
you to perform the zonetransfer for the zone. They also need to add an =
NS record pointing
to your nameserver for the zone (and ask their parent to do the same =
usually), unless
you only want to be a stealth secondary, ie not answer public queries =
for that zone.

regards
Mathias