Can I be a parent for a zone and a slave for a subdomain?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Sep 16 03:42:47 UTC 2000

A subzone delegation, in and of itself, publishes the existence of a zone in
the DNS database, but it does not specify who is master and who is slave for
the zone. This is something that needs to be configured "privately" into the
nameservers themselves. In the case of BIND, you configure the master/slave
distinction and associated parameters in the named.conf file. So no, there's no
contradiction in delegating a subzone and also being slave for it. These things
are configured in different places and serve different purposes. Being a master
means maintaining the original copy of the zone file; being a slave means you
get only a replica of the zonefile through an automated process. No-one else
really knows for sure, or cares, who the slave and who the master is. All the
delegation records do is provide enough information so that
*some* authoritative (i.e. master *or* slave, it doesn't matter) nameserver can
be found to answer the queries.

- Kevin