?'s about forwarders

beetle bailey mrking01 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 02:21:07 UTC 2000

Sorry, I had a feeling this wasn't going to make the jump from my head to
anyone else's.  I'm still kind of new so I guess I tend to toss technical
terms around somewhat carelessly.

domain.com has 2 subdomains: corp.domain.com and sales.domain.com.
ins1.domain.com and ins2.domain.com are authoritative for domain.com and are
queried and available to internal hosts.  ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com
are authoritative for domain.com, corp.domain.com and sales.domain.com but
have different info available for hosts external to domain.com.  ins1 and
ins2 are slaves for the subdomains corp and sales.  they also have the line:
forwarders {
               ns1.domain.com;
               ns2.domain.com;
        };
        forward only;
in their named.conf files (with ipadds instead of names).  I was told the
reason behind that is so ns1 and ns2 are the only nameservers with any
direct interaction with the internet.  Sales.domain.com and corp.domain.com
have their own nameservers which are masters for those domains.
corp.domain.com is a master for it's domain and a slave for none.  It also
supposedly has a similar line about forwarding in it's named.conf file but
points to ins1 and ins2.  They were having problems sending mail to
sales.domain.com and digging at their servers and ins1 and ins2 showed them
somehow getting mx records for sales.domain.com from ns1.  I just noticed
that the server we have listed as a master for sales.domain.com in our
named.conf file responds with the authoritative bit not set and the "db"
file it gets dumped to when we do a zone transfer hasn't been updated for
over a week (the ttl is 1 day).  I assume that's the problem?  If we have a
server listed in named.conf as a master but it does not advertise itself as
such would our queries then be forwarded to ns1 and ns2?  If that is the
case, why does ins1 respond to a dig for mx records on sales.domain.com
differently than ins2? (Please ignore the discrepencies in the number of
answers, i tried to simplify.)  I hope this is easier to understand, and
thanks a lot for the help.

Here's what a dig of the soa record of sales.domain.com on ins2 states:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      sales.domain.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sales.domain.com.       13h27m28s IN SOA  ns1.domain.com.
root.sales.domain.com (
                                        57              ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

and here's the mx record dug from the same host:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      sales.domain.com, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sales.domain.com.       13h32m8s IN MX  100 mail1.domain.com.
sales.domain.com.       13h32m8s IN MX  110 mail2.domain.com.

here's a dig for soa record at ins1:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      sales.domain.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sales.domain.com.       22h21m48s IN SOA  ns1.domain.com.
root.sales.domain.com(
                                        57              ; serial
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

and here's the mx record from ins1:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 5
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      sales.domain.com, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sales.domain.com.       1D IN MX        110 mail3.sales.domain.com.
sales.domain.com.       1D IN MX        115 mail4.sales.domain.com.

here is a dig for mx records at ns1.domain.com:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 6
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      sales.domain.com, type = MX, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
sales.domain.com.       1D IN MX        110 mail2.domain.com.
sales.domain.com.       1D IN MX        100 mail1.domain.com.