DNS config for name-based virtual web hosting

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 15 21:20:26 UTC 2000

I'm not sure what ARIN announcement you're referring to, so it's not
exactly clear what you're trying to do.

Why don't you use real domain names? If you had done so, maybe I could
have pieced together your plan just by running a few queries.

It's not even clear whether it's the forward (name-to-address) or the
reverse (address-to-name) mappings which aren't working for you. In one
place you say "webs1.server.domainname.com" doesn't resolve, in another
you say "the shared IP" should resolve to something. Which is it? Those
are handled by separate records in the DNS database.

- Kevin