Classless in-addr.arpa Question

Josh Higham bindadmin at bigsky.net
Fri Sep 15 16:58:55 UTC 2000

>Hello folks,
>
>Can anyone please tell me if I'm right or wrong,
>cause I got some problems. The "ISP" I got, or atleast
>the one who owns my IP is ns.dorotea.se, but they don't
>know how to give you authority to change your own reverse.
>
>So I would like to know how you do this so I can tell them :)

First, I'm not certain that the / is valid in the zone, and I'd change it
just for readability.

They need to define the following for their 253.165.194.in-addr.arpa zone:

11.253.165.194.in-addr.arpa IN  CNAME 11.cust.253.165.194.in-addr.arpa
cust.253.165.194.in-addr.arpa IN NS         <your nameserver>

Then on your nameserver you create the cust.253.165.194.in-addr.arpa zone,
give an entry:
11     IN PTR <whatever>

Some people name the zone based off how large a network you have.  If you
have a 194.165.253.0/29 (8 addresses, 0-7, with ) then they might call the
zone 0-7.253.165.194.in-addr.arpa.

My question for the others:  I have a setup just like this, but I get a fair
number of query attempts to my nameservers for the delegated zone (I've
disabled recursion).  Is this from older clients that do not understand
anything but a PTR as a response?  i know that the person that I'm
delegating to has some servers that return log errors trying to resolve the
reverse queries (incorrect type in response).  When checking from the
outside I see the correct CNAME entry, and NS entry from my server, and his
server returns the response, so I'm not sure why my server would be queried
for that zone.

Thanks,

Josh Higham