Inherited DNS

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Mathias_K=F6rber?= nominum at koerber.org
Fri Sep 15 16:00:23 UTC 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Edmiston, Jerry wrote:

> Recently, I inherited the DNS responsibilities here at work. I've worked
> with DNS before and am familar with the structure and purpose of DNS. But
> some things in this DNS environement are very confusing. Why would a printer
> be defined to DNS?

Maybe that is a networked printer (using the berkeley lpd protocol)?
How exactly is it defined?

> [...] Why would multiple A records with the same IP number be
> assigned to multiple host names?

Virtual hosting of many sites on the same system?
Using one system for several services, each with its own name
	(ns.domain, mail.domain etc)

> Why would just about every A record entry
> (and there are alot) have an MX record?

So that user at host.domain works as an address?
One could do that with wildcard MX records (if they point to the
same mailserver), but it sometimes is easier to do it this way,
especially if the zonefiles are generated (from a database or through
other means) anyway...

To me these are errors and should be
> corrected. No one will admit to the entries, only pointing to people that
> have long gone, but they keep insisting that they are needed. Anyway, am I
> missing something or is this truly a cluster of DNS errors. Any help would
> be grealy appreciated. Thanks in advance...

To really be able to say something about these, you would have to give
specific examples and explain some background.
All of these are valid setups, *if* intended. they might be wrong
inyour case, but it is impossible to come to any conclusion based on
thelittleinfo we have.

I also suggest you obtain a copy of the book "DNS and BIND" (3rd edition) by
Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu (O'Reilly). It is a very good
source of information and will help you.

regards
Mathias