Compiling error under Slackware

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Sep 14 22:34:29 UTC 2000

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:50:30PM -0400, Web Technologies wrote:
> >       I decided to try Slackware but I get the following error when trying to
> > compile 8.22-p5 during the "make all" step.  Any one experience this and
> > find a way around it?
> >
> > ns_maint.o: No space left on device
> > /tmp/cceG2MNq.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/cceG2MNq.s:7778: FATAL: Can't write ns_maint.o: No space left on device
> > make[2]: *** [ns_maint.o] Error 1
> > Thanks
>
> You can either hire a consultant and pay him thousands of dollars an
> hour, or buy a new disk drive for a few hundred dollars, or delete a
> lot of files on that file system.
>
> "No space left on device" usually means what it says.

Usually. But inode exhaustion can produce that error also, even if you have plenty
of disk-block "space" in the filesystem. I've often seen our Level 1 (and
sometimes even Level 2) Unix admins forget that little piece of Unix trivia...

(And don't even get me started on "why does 'df' show a different amount of free
space than 'du' does?"...)

- Kevin