Sendmail and DNS behind NAT Firewall

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 13 23:54:23 UTC 2000

You say that names resolve from the outside. *Any* names, or just names in
your authoritative zones? Answering a query for a name in one of your
authoritative zones doesn't require your nameserver to talk to any other
nameserver, so it doesn't prove much of anything. Do you have recursion
enabled for internal clients? Do you have a proper Internet root hints
file? Does your firewall permit UDP packets *from* random unprivileged
ports on your nameserver *to* port 53 on other nameservers (you can
restrict the source port on your nameserver via the "query-source" option,
if you wish)?

If *all* queries work from the outside, and *no* queries work from the
inside, not even queries for names in authoritative zones, then I'd say
this is probably not a nameserver configuration issue. Is there any chance
that you have some *asymmetric* NAT'ing going on internally? A client will
generally ignore a response if it doesn't come from the same address to
which the query was sent, so if NAT is being performed in only one
direction, it could sabotage DNS.

- Kevin