Newbie Question about DNS Hosting

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 13 13:06:20 UTC 2000

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 08:42:04PM +0000, gil.danieli at everbank.com wrote:
> I'm a DNS novice, but I have the following question that I would like
> to find an answer for.
>
> I have a webserver with one Host (A) record "www.something.com" and an
> additional 29 CNAME records (aliases), all pointing at www.xxx.yyy.zzz.
> This server is located in a web hosting facility, which wants to charge
> me $10/month per record after the primary.
>
> I also have an in house email server, with one Host (A)
> record "smtp.something.com" pointing at aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd. Currently our
> ISP hosts this DNS record.
>
> Considering the cost of the DNS Hosting from our Web Hosting facility,
> I would like to host our own DNS (the web hosting facility will provide
> secondary name services for "free").
>
> Any suggestions on the best way to configure servers in this situation?

It would be difficult to have both companies separately authoritative
for "something.com".
	something.com	nameserver = JUBAL.WESTNET.COM
	something.com	nameserver = WESTNET.COM

	JUBAL.WESTNET.COM	internet address = 206.24.6.9
	WESTNET.COM	internet address = 206.24.6.2
If they are both authoritative, you will either have to ask both to
separately carry all records [and keep hounding them until they get it
right - reminds me, I have some hounding to do] or have one be master
and the other slave off of him.

Choose one.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B