New to BIND

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 11 22:40:41 UTC 2000

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 07:23:11PM +0200, Janis Ivanovskis wrote:

> I have SuSE 6.4 with kernel 2.2.14 SMP, when i compile it, then i get the
> error, Too many symbolic links ?
>
> How to fix this problem, and install correctly BIND ??

You might have guessed by the lack of answers the other times you asked
that there is too little information here.  A copy of the actual output
might help.

You know what a symbolic link is, right?  It is a special object that
points to another object on the file system by name (instead of being
another name for that object, as a true link is).  It is possible to
get in a loop, where two links point to each other:

	ls -l dir1/x dir2/y
	... dir1/x -> dir2/y
	... dir2/y -> dir1/x

If this is the case, whether these are supposed to be files or
directories, attempting to use them would hang the system.
Fortunately, there is a hard limit on the number of symbolic links that
one may have in a given lookup before the lookup is ended with the
message about which you are asking.

It is also possible to have the above situation with multiple links in
the loop, and with the links at different parts of the lookup.

Hope this helps.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B