Using a CNAME in my reverse zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 11 23:30:46 UTC 2000

When someone does a reverse lookup, the type of record they query is PTR.
A CNAME just "redirects" the query to some other name. So is there a PTR record
owned by the "my.isp.hostname" name (if you had used the real name, maybe I could
have figured this out myself)? If not, then the reverse query will get "No such
host". The maintainer of the zone containing "my.isp.hostname" needs to add a
PTR record, or, alternatively, you should change that CNAME to point elsewhere.
Folks usually like to keep their forward and reverse zones separate, so maybe your
ISP already has a "reverse" zone where they maintain miscellaneous PTRs like this.

- Kevin