(no subject)

Mikael Forsberg mikaelforsberg at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 21:37:42 UTC 2000

Hi,

I'm running 8.2.2p5 on NT and have tested dynamic updates,
which generated a couple of questions.

The file db.example.se.ixfr is created together with the file
db.example.se.log, which contains the updates, when an update is made.

Named updates the db.example.se file with the new data after
a while and deletes the db.example.log file, but leaves the
db.example.se.ixfr file as is.

A dynamic delete of the created data adds the delete operation to
the db.example.se.ixfr file which now contains both an add and a
delete of the same record.

I've tested with a single master configuration and with a slave,
but the IXFR file is still not removed.

1) How is the IXFR file used with incremental zone transfers?

2) Should it be removed automatically?

3) I got the following error when Named updated the db.example.se
   with the db.example.se.log data.

   08-Sep-2000 17:00:34.000 default: warning: can not rename
   db.example.se.ixfr.a00229 to db.example.se.ixfr :File exists

4) I assume it is safe to delete the IXFR file, as it is created when
   a dynamic update is done and not when the zone files are edited
   manually. I don't want to have a file that grows forever...

Regards

Mikael

# named.conf
# Definitions for a primary DNS authoritative for the example.se zone

options {
	recursion no;
	fetch-glue no;
	allow-query {
			192.168.87.23;
		        192.168.87.7;
			};
	allow-transfer {
			192.168.87.23;
			192.168.87.7;
			};
	statistics-interval 0;
	cleaning-interval 10080; # once a week
	transfer-format many-answers;

};
zone "example.se" in {
    type master;
    file "db.example.se";
    allow-update {
			192.168.87.23;
			192.168.87.7;
			};
};
# Loop back
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
type            master ;
file            "db.0.0.127" ;
} ;
# Root DNS
zone "." {
type            master;
file            "db.root" ;
} ;

$TTL 43200;
@	IN      SOA     test.example.se. mikaelforsberg.hotmail.com. (

	2000091101; serial
	28800; 		refresh
	7200; 		retry
	172800; 	expire
	43200; 		minimum TTL
                                             )
; Define the name server
	IN	NS	test.example.se.
test.example.se.	IN	A	192.168.87.23
root	IN	A	192.168.87.23

one.example.se. 43200 IN A 192.168.87.23
two.example.se. 43200 IN A 192.168.87.23