telnet App not recursive

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 8 19:18:25 UTC 2000

Quadri, Jay wrote:

> Sorry, Please ignore the last mail I sent about being nominated for an
> Oscar, the bastard still doesn't work properly.  I can resolve everything
> but the Internet.  I'll never use nslookup to test again, and if I ever do
> I'll do it more than ones using differ names to test.
>
>  The second IP (Internet) in the forwarder is not being tried for a second
> opinion that's why it's not working.

Exactly. That's what I keep telling you. Multiple forwarders is only for
redundancy, not for "second opinion"s. If you want to resolve Internet names
without having Internet connectivity, your global forwarder(s) need to be set
to Internet-aware nameservers *only*. Then if you want to forward other things
to internal servers, you use zones of type "forward". If you'd rather use
iterative resolution instead of forwarding for certain internal domains, then
set them up as master/slave/stub with the "forwarders { }" syntax.

Sounds like you're trying to do everything you can to avoid generating a list
of what the "old box" is serving and then adding the appropriate zone
definitions to your machine. And you're trying to circumvent this chore by
defining multiple "default" places to forward. This is a dead end. You can only
reasonably have one "default" place to forward things (note that I said
"place", not "server"; obviously you could forward to multiple Internet
nameservers, or multiple internal nameservers, but you can't reasonably mix
Internet and internal servers, i.e. servers in different "places"). Everything
which doesn't fall under the default needs to be explicitly specified. So,
either you set your default to the "old box" and explicitly specify every
domain on the Internet (yeah, right!) or you set your default to one or more
Internet servers and explicitly specify all of the domains on that "old box"
(as forward, slave or stub). As I see it, those are your only two options. Pick
one.

- Kevin