Info

Riskable Riskable at YouKnowWhat.com
Fri Sep 8 18:32:46 UTC 2000

So I am to believe that there really ARE questions too stupid for the
'highness' of this list?  It seems pretty damn related to me.  But that's
just MHO.

Spades, to answer your question, TTL is Time To Live.  So , TTL 3600 would
probably be:  Time To Live, 3600 seconds.  However, depending on where it's
being used those could be milliseconds or any other time-based measurement.
Usually, in relation to BIND and DNS zone files, the number values are all
in seconds.

When it says something like 5w6d16h it means 5 weeks, 6 days, 16 hours.

...and to get more detailed information, I recommend checking out
http://eeunix.ee.usm.maine.edu/guides/dns/resource.html it goes into detail
on what each of those items below mean.

BTW:  The parent of that document goes into detail about DNS & BIND in
general and can be found at
http://eeunix.ee.usm.maine.edu/guides/dns/dns.html  I recommend reading it
to better understand what, exactly retry, expire, etc, mean.

"Nobody ever says 'I want to be a computer geek when I grow up'...

...but they will"  -Riskable