CNAME/MX question...

Vyto Grigaliunas vyto at fnal.gov
Fri Sep 8 16:18:20 UTC 2000

Hi...

Thanks for the reply...

Sorry I wasn't specific enough...

Here's the situation...

I've got the following CNAME in our primary domain pointing to a system in a
subdomain :

fnneta.fnal.gov.   IN   CNAME   fnneta.test.fnal.gov.

The authoritative server for the "test" subdomain has the following records
for fnneta.test.fnal.gov :

fnneta          IN      A       131.225.2.1
                IN      MX      0       fnneta
                IN      MX      100     heffalump.fnal.gov.
                IN      MX      200     woozle.fnal.gov.

I guess my question concerned mail addressed to vyto at fnneta.fnal.gov -
SMTP/sendmail should find the MX records associated with the target of the
CNAME, in this case fnneta.test.fnal.gov - I shouldn't need to associate the
MX records with the CNAME (which to me doesn't seem right), i.e. -

fnneta.fnal.gov.   IN   CNAME   fnneta.test.fnal.gov.
                             IN   MX     0    fnneta.test.fnal.gov.
                             IN   MX     100  heffalump.fnal.gov.
                             IN   MX     200  woozle.fnal.gov.

It seems to work (and I don't think it breaks any of the rules), but I just
wanted to make sure that this was something that wasn't recommended practice
with possible non-expected results...

> [Why eeyore, heffalump, and woozle, but no pooh or piglet???  ;->]

Sorry...I didn't name them...not a Pooh fan...now Homer Simpson...there's an
actor ;-)

Thanks...

Vyto