A Record Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 8 00:09:35 UTC 2000

There's nothing technically wrong with having multiple names resolve to
the same IP address. The only sticky thing about it is a reverse-mapping
ambiguity: should x.x.x.x resolve back to "ns0.toserveandcollect.com" or
"gateway.pawd.net"? Generally, this reverse-mapping ambiguity doesn't
cause any problems -- usually no-one cares much what a
*server's* address maps back to, and even if your server machine
sometimes acts as a client for some protocol and the server at the other
end performs "double lookup authentication", everything will work as
long as the reverse-mapped name resolves to the client's IP address,
i.e. the PTR record for x.x.x.x points back to either "gateway.pawd.net"
or "ns0.toserveandcollect.com", and both of those names point to
x.x.x.x.

- Kevin