Running two DNS Servers on one machine with two IPs

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Thu Sep 7 17:57:38 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:46:08PM +0000, andreas.graf at usa.net wrote:
> What do I have do do in order to run a primary and a secondary DNS
> server on one machine (RedHat 6.2) with 2 IPs assiged.

Hi Andreas,

I assume you mean to run named twice, one process on each interface ?
The following options are what you'll be needing to set in the
configurations of each nameserver:

 listen-on
  Specifies the interfaces named will listen for queries on. Tell each
  nameserver which specific interface it should use.

 transfer-source
  The source address your nameserver will use when making zone transfer
  requests.

 query-source
  The source address your nameserver will use when making queries.

As an aside, the reason to have a primary and secondary nameserver for a
zone is to give some redundancy. If one fails, the other is still in
service. Placing both nameservers on the same machine, for any single
zone, just creates a single point of failure.

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375