Cache still not expiring...

James Raftery james-bind-users at domainregistry.ie
Thu Sep 7 16:25:02 UTC 2000

Hi Stephen,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 12:09:59PM -0400, Stephen Amadei wrote:
> Then since his customers use my dial-up and DNS, they
> are not seeing the DNS changes right away.  In fact, sometimes it takes
> days...

A phenomenon called "propogation delay". Nameservers remember the
thing (tm). People who run domains can specify in their zone file for
each domain how long they would like nameservers around the world to
remember responses from those zones for. This is the "time to live",
a.k.a. the "TTL". When changing records you should lower the TTL
beforehand so that the soon-to-be-wrong responses aren't cached for too
long.

Your reseller is an idiot. It's not your fault he doesn't know how to
change DNS records with a minimum of disruption and hassle. There are
many explantory texts about how to do this. Suggest to him that he gets
and reads the "DNS and BIND" book, gets a clue and failing that, gets
lost. (As you may have guessed, people blaming me for their screw-ups
really irritates me).

> usually until I rehup my named for a DNS change on my network.

To empty BIND's cache you need to restart (not reload) it.

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375