Problem with using $GENERATE for reverse-lookup (PTRs)

ray at doubleclick.net ray at doubleclick.net
Mon Sep 4 06:05:14 UTC 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

> Make each zone a seperate file and check your logs after loading.
> If the zone loads without error it will be transfered with the
> generated entries.

Thing is, there are no errors in syslog during reloads, nor any errors
in the syslog of my remote secondaries during or after AXFR completes.
Maybe you are thinking of the elementary problem some users converting
from BIND 4.x to BIND 8.x encounter (trying to point more than one
zone declaration to the same filespec in named.conf)? Having soft (or
even hard) links from one physical zonefile to many "alias" zonefiles
seems to satisfy BIND8 that each domain has it's own zonefile and has
been working great for the past year, for all types of records except
$GENERATE-ed PTRs. Why would this specific type of record fail to be
transferred to my secondaries?

Furthermore, $GENERATE used in zonefiles for other than *.in-addr.arpa
domains seems to work properly; generated entries are visible in the
zonefiles transferred to the secondaries, and queries for said entries
succeed.