Problem with using $GENERATE for reverse-lookup (PTRs)

ray at doubleclick.net ray at doubleclick.net
Sun Sep 3 05:21:17 UTC 2000

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 ray at doubleclick.net wrote:

> I'm running BIND 8.2.2-P5, and some time ago decided to use the nice
> $GENERATE feature for PTR records. In particular, I want to ensure
> reverse-lookup for all IPs in say, 172.16.1.0/24 resolve to something
> like "host-172-16-1-?.example.com". This worked fine until recently,
> either due to some mistake in my reverse zone (or perhaps a bug in
> BIND, maybe related to the size of the zonefile?). Now if I try to
> lookup a PTR within one of the ranges handled by my $GENERATE entries
> nothing is returned :(

Forgot to add: queries for the $GENERATE-ed PTR entries succeed
against the primary/master nameserver, but fail when sent to any of
the auth secondary nameservers. Almost like the $GENERATE-ed entries
are not being transferred-over by AXFR. In fact I couldn't find the
entries in the corresponding zonefile on the slave nameservers.

--
Ray