win2k & bind 8.2.2_p5 (AAAROCKS or ADMROCKS)

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Sat Sep 2 23:52:21 UTC 2000

> I have been trying to get a win2k server to be a secondary / slave to a Linux
>  (cobalt raq3i ) machine with bind 8.2.2_p5 however no
> joy so far.
>
> In my /etc/named directory I have a directory AAAROCKS which is empty, not pu
> t there by me, a tad disconcerting to say the very
> least.
>
> I think the bind version was upgraded with OS upgrade after the said director
> y was introduced to this particular machine.
>
> So should I worry about the AAAROCKS seeing as the OS & possibly bind have be
> en upgraded or given that I now use 8.2.2_p5 is there
> nowt to worry about. ??!!?***

	It looks your machine has been compromised in the past.
	The upgrade may or may not have removed all the backdoors.
	It would be wise to assume that it hasn't.

> Is this AAAROCKS a variant of ADMROCKS ?

	Most probably.

> How does one check the named-xfer is working ?

	By attempting to transfer a zone using it.  Named-xfer is
	used by the slave side, not the master side of a transfer.
	So apart from testing the master it is not needed in the
	described configuration.

> Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?
>
> Maybe the win2k dns is incompatible with bind 8.2.2_p5 ?

	No, they inter-operate.

> I have noticed a few others seem to be ... battling ,  with the same issue, m
> ay be they've been attacked by the bind hack.
>
> Hopefully someone can put a finger on the problem ?
>
> Hopefully
> martin
> London UK

	Mark