Localhost not found

Doug Barton DougB at gorean.org
Sat Sep 2 22:11:57 UTC 2000

"J.B. LaRue" wrote:

> Yesterday, mid day, reverse lookup stopped working. I have had
> everything working just fine for quite a few years. The only thing that
> changed was an upgrade to 8.2.2, but that was last month.
>
> I spent many hours pulling my hair out when the e-mail (messaging)
> server wouldn't keep SMTP up and running. After working with tech
> support, the only thing left was to check DNS. Sure enough, I couldn't
> resolve localhost with nslookup. It works with 127.0.0.1, but not names.
>
> Anyone that could help shed some light on why this would die, I would
> sure appreciate it.

	You should kill named, then restart it to see all of the errors
generated. I suspect that someone changed something in the zone files
then reloaded the server without tailing the log, thus missing an error
message telling you that your server is no longer authoritative for your
zones.

	It's also possible that you got hit with one of the attacks that 8.2.2
is vulnerable to. I strongly recommend that you upgrade to 8.2.3-T6B
asap. I use it on my nameservers at work and it's been very reliable.

	If the above course of action doesn't fix you up, please include the
information about what zones you're needing help with so that we can
query your nameservers and see what's up.

Good luck,

Doug