DNS UDP port 0 activity

Jean-Christophe Smith jsmith at publichost.com
Fri Sep 1 23:57:59 UTC 2000

Sounds like a scan of some sort. Was it a TCP or UDP packet? if TCP, were
the SYN and FIN flags set? (This is a popular type of scan that hackers use
to detect what os you're running) The reason the destination port was 53 was
because:
A. Many firewalls are configured to just allow DNS traffic through (Some
inexperienced admins have difficulty getting firewalls to play nicely with
DNS)
B. Most admins will think its normal dns traffic

I believe sending the SYN/FIN packet to port 0 creates anomolies on
different oses that can be used to determine os type remotely.

just a theory,

-jc (jsmith at internet-security.com)