Blinded root !

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Sep 1 16:51:15 UTC 2000

    >> Despite the fact that our bind 8.2.5 runs very well we cant
    >> check root servers :

    >> [djr at romeo djr]$ nslookup .
    >> Server: romeo.invivo.net
    >> Address: 194.250.225.205

    >> Name:

    >> The name line is empty ! Switching to higher debug level is not
    >> helpful.  It does not seem to be an error from the logs.

Correct. You've made some errors, but none of them are helped by using
dig (with or without debugging). The first is choosing a crummy tool
like nslookup. Use dig for checking name servers. The second is making
a query for A records for ".". There aren't any. So you get an empty
reply from nslookup. A decent tool like dig would show you what was in
the Authority and Additional Sections of the reply even if the Answer
Section was empty. This is just one of the reasons to stop using
nslookup. Try making nslookup ask for the NS or SOA records for "."
and see what you get back.