Back up mail server setup

mbm at mail.canacad.ac.jp mbm at mail.canacad.ac.jp
Sat Sep 30 04:16:42 UTC 2000

Hi everyone, perhaps someone could help me:
I'll describe my situation and then pose the four questions that have
arisen in my mind.
Scene 1:
We run AppleShare 6.1, the mail server being on a G4 machine and MacDNS
on a PPC.  We have a qube to manage our web traffic. We have set up the
qube to act as a secondary mail server to kick in when the G4 crashes.
Unfortunately, the G4 crashes a lot. When it does, the qube kicks in and
collects mail.  However, the qube does not deliver the mail, not while
it is running nor once the main server is up again. As an individual
client,  we can access the qube manually or rather directly, but we
don't seem to get routed through the DNS even though the qube is listed
as secondary mail server in MacDNS with a larger value, ie.  10 mail.etc
20 qube.etc We can't find any documentation for this scenario nor any
settings that would have the qube check to see if the main mail server
is back up again.
So here are my 4 questions:
Number 1:
Is client access to/requests of DNS somehow different from incoming mail
requests of DNS?
Number 2:
How can clients receive mail from the secondary mail server once the
primary server has come back up?
Number 3:
Can primary mail server be set to retrieve mail collected on secondary
server upon start up?
Number 4:
Can qube se set up to pass all mail forward to primary server on a
periodic basis thus delivering mail as soon as primary mail server
starts up.

Any insight into any of these questions would be invaluable to my mental
health.
Thanks
Mike Baudisch-McCabe
mbm at mail.canacad.ac.jp