flushset: out of memory

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Sep 29 16:36:27 UTC 2000

    Darryl> I have just had a nameserver crash with the below entry in
    Darryl> syslog. Can anyone add anymore to this, apart from the
    Darryl> obvious that is it related to memory. What does it mean?

    Darryl> Sep 29 13:42:54 ns named[16698]: flushset: out of memory
    Darryl> Sep 29 13:42:54 ns named[16698]: flushset: out of memory

    Darryl> named version 8.2.2-P5 on AIX 4.3.2

I would have thought that was obvious. The name server asked the OS
for more memory and the OS refused to give it any. Why that happened
is anyone's guess. Maybe your system has run out of RAM or VM. Maybe
the name server has hit some OS-specific limit on the maximum size of
a process. Have you changed anything on the system recently? Like add
another memory-hungry application or reduce the amount of RAM or swap
space. Hve you tweaked the kernel? Or maybe you've added a big bunch
of zones and/or DNS data that's making your name server guzzle a lot
more RAM than it used to. Or maybe your server is having to deal with
too many recursive queries that have made its cache get bigger? Do you
know how big was named just before it crashed?