Strange delelagtion/resolving problems

Gilles Massen gm at dns.lu
Fri Sep 29 11:27:37 UTC 2000

Hello,

I'm having a strange issue with the resolving of "www.mensa.lu". All
delegations seems to be correct (altough not straightforward).

The symptoms are: when restarting bind, an A-query to www.mensa.lu fails
(even when increasing the timeout of dig). Buf if you play a bit with
it,
especially if you make queries to the nameservers involved in the
delegation, the name gets eventually resolved.

Is there a maximum number of redelegations that bind follows?

Here is what I found so far:

mensa.lu delegated to ns and ns2.norplex.net.
norplex.net is delegated to vserver.neptun11.de and ns1.mars11.de.
neptun11.de is delegated to ns and ns2.germany.net
mars11.de is delegated to ns1.neptun11.de and www.gilching.de.
All servers are reachable. If queried directly they return all correct
(or
at least expected) answers. When I'm sniffing bind's network traffic, it
is just making the first steps and then just stops. No error (even in
debug), no answer.

The servers I'm currently playing with are arakis.restena.lu and
salusa.restena.lu, but I found that other servers at several ISPs had
the
same problems. Any idea or hint on this would be more than welcomed.

gilles
--
Gilles MASSEN
RESTENA - DNS-LU