Bind, Sendmail and RBL

M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com
Thu Sep 28 22:20:17 UTC 2000

You have set up your name server as slave to the zone rbl.maps.vix.com so
that you don't have to query over the internet to resolve these names. You
still need to look them up as is.  You are not in any way modifying the
zone, just moving it closer (possibly onto the same server).

Your problem is not with bind but with your sendmail configuration.  You
are trying to tell sendmail to use your local server but instead have told
it to look up 2.0.0.127.your.name.server.

For proper configuration:

Point your resolver to your local name server in /etc/resolv.conf or
appropriate depending on your os.

Use FEATURE(dnsbl) within your sendmail mc file.  This is the same as FEATURE(dnsbl, rbl.maps.vix.com) which is the
default.

dnsbl stands for DNS Block.  rbl.maps.vix.com is the default domain if one
is not specified.  If you specify a domain it is used instead.  The
"FEATURE(dnsbl, example.com) allows you to define your own dns database
,example.com, for rejection instead of using the one from MAPS.

DNS queries will go to the local configured server which as slave is
authoritative and will respond without the need for recursion.

Good Luck,

Mike

--
Mike Ashcraft, Sr. Network Engineer