removing Domains

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 28 18:23:20 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 06:00:46PM +0200, Martin Fries wrote:
> I=B4ve BIND8 running on SuSE-Linux 7.0. Now I want to remove a domain fro=
> the server. I=B4ve deleted the entry in /etc/named.conf and made a
> "killall -1 named". It didn=B4t work. I=B4ve made a "named restart". But =
> our
> server is still answering  for this domain. I tried this with nslookup.
> Have anyone a idea?

The first one should have worked.  I think I've seen cases where
'killall' didn't work as advertised.

The second one should be 'ndc restart'.  Or you may have menat that you
did /erc/rc.d/init.d/named restart, which should have also worked.

If you have killed and re-started the server, and it is STILL serving
the domain ... then you have not removed the domain.

If you are actually resolving from a peer name server that happens to
slave itself to the original name server, then you will have to go to
all of the name servers and remove the zone from their named.conf
files.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B