/24 in-addr.arpa Delegation Problem

Ethan Banks ebanks at vitts.com
Tue Sep 26 19:25:00 UTC 2000

I've delegated 49.64.216.in-addr.arpa. to oldman.state.nh.us and
whitemtns.state.nh.us by putting NS records in the zone file living on
ns1.vitts.com and ns2.vitts.com.  If I nslookup against either oldman or
whitemtns, I get answers for PTR queries in this domain.  However, if I
attempt a reverse lookup from anywhere else, the query fails.

What's broken?  My delegation, the authoritative name servers, or something
in the middle?  Here's my zone file for 49.64.216.in-addr.arpa:

$TTL 1H
@       IN      SOA     ns1.vitts.net.   hostmaster.vitts.net. (
                                2000092501              ; Serial
                                3H                      ; Refresh after 3
hours
                                1H                      ; Retry after 1 hour
                                1W                      ; expire weekly
                                1H      )               ; Minimum TTL of 1
hour
;
; Name servers
;