dns localhost problem

Scott Howell showell at n3byy.yi.org
Mon Sep 25 23:40:21 UTC 2000

First, let me say to everyone who has helped me, thank you very much. You
guys are really great!

I do have just a couple of more questions and one item that needs clearing
up.

I removed the "." from localhost in my zone file so it now reads

localhost   IN   A   127.0.0.1

I was getting out of zone errors, but now if I do a nslookup on localhost,
I get a non-existant domain.

I have in my local file the following

; local file for lrxms.net
;
@ SOA localhost.  hostmaster.localhost. (
2000092401 ; serial,today's date + today's serial
;
 IN NS   ns.lrxms.net. ; init address of name server
1  IN   PTR   localhost

I can do nslookup 127.0.0.1 and get localhost.

I assume this needs to be fixed although I am getting no erros.

Ok, here is another question.

Is it completely mad for me to want to run both my own nameservers? Yeah,
I know its being kinda cheap of me not to pay my ISP $35 one-time setup
charge to handle secondary, but they will do reverse for free and no of
course they won't delegate.<G>

Ok, I know there's Granite Canyon and so what does folks think of them.

I imagine running secondary nameserver isn't more than just setting up a
slave.

Ok, lastly is there anything else I need to take into consideration before
finally uploading the info to registerfree folks? I really don't want to
be putting junk into the works you know.
I'd like to think that I am pretty concious in not making a mess of
things.

tnx

Oh, finally last item that really is important. I see that named is
listening on both my internal and external interfaces.

I have heard its better to run a named server for internal machines
separate from the external server. That seems unnecessary, but perhaps
not. Would I set it up so that lrxms is its domain then?

Is it fairly safe to run dns behind a firewall and just open that port for
udp queries?

I am sure there's a tun of info on this and I'll be looking for it, but I
thought I'd get some opinions on this as well.
I was thinking of running the primary and secondary on the firewall box
only because its never down unless something bad like I loose the
connection on the DSL line. THat's only happend 3 or so times since I've
had it.
Not bad.

tnx

Thanks again folks, I really appreciate all the help.