Advice on setting up bind

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Sep 25 18:56:46 UTC 2000

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 04:24:46PM +0100, Edward wrote:
> I'm a lowly DNS tech, adding A/MX records etc. We have bind 8.x that has
> records added through a web interface, I thinks it's SQL based and re-builds
> really quickly.We also run bind 4.x on an older server. I interact with this
> through telnet sessions and I'm getting quite familiar with Unix commands
> and the Bind directory structure.
>
> I would like to set my own server up at home (keeping my nose ahead of my
> colleagues!) and wondered if this would be possible with my old 486. I'd
> like some advice on what strain of Unix to run - I only need it to run bind
> so that I can telnet to it from my main machine and edit files using VI and
> BASH. The 486 has no CD-Rom so I need a Unix that fills a few floppies if
> possible (not networked yet) Would this old machine run Bind 8+ ? Is it
> worth me learning bind 4.x first?

A 486 is fine for most small domains.  Use any distribution of Linux,
or BSD/OS, or *BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc.).  Or Solaris.  I only know
of Linux distribs that are still available on floppy: you may have to
hunt for them (Slackware?).

Current systems are distributed with BIND 8.*.  Use 8.2.2-P5 or the
promised-someday-real-soon 8.2.3.  Avoid 4.  You may even feel like
trying BIND 9.0.0 [released!] is fun!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B