SV: GET all top domain entries

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Sep 25 11:33:30 UTC 2000

    Johnny> hi Jim I think that i saw a zone file for .COM or .NET
    Johnny> somewhere (on an FTP) witch was owned by the root-servers.
    Johnny> What about downloading this one, and there you go???

What about it? Why do you think I (or anyone else) would know anything
about some unspecified file from some unknown location that contains
unknown data originating from some unknown source? Maybe this file
contains useful data, maybe it doesn't. If the file works for whatever
you want to do, then fine. It's highly unlikely that this file -
whatever it is - contains the current zone data for the .com or .net
zones. AFAIK, the zone files for these zones are not made available
for general FTP. Here's what ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domains/README
has to say:

	Effective immediately, Network Solutions will no longer make
	the .COM, .NET and .ORG zone files anonymously available via
	our ftp site at rs.internic.net.  It has become apparent that
	these files are being used by spammers and domain speculators
	for purposes other than that for which they were intended.
	Network Solutions will make the files available to any
	organization that can demonstrate a technical need for the
	information. If you are requesting access to the zone files in
	order to receive a report of your domain names, please obtain
	this information through our report request form at the URL:
	http://rs.internic.net/reports/index.html. If you feel that
	you need this information you may apply for access by sending
	email to hostmaster at internic.net.

    Johnny> Or do we have to query the DNS for every domain ?

If someone has a valid reason, they can get access to TLD DNS data:
for instance for research purposes. That's proper research (trend
analysis, statistics, etc) not market research (spam generation). If
someone needs to ask how to get access to that data, they probably
don't have a good reason for accessing it.