hosts resolve, but not domain

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 24 20:28:47 UTC 2000

> I'm guessing they don't because they think they're authoritative.

Correct.

>can I simply add an A resource record for the
>domain that points to the public IP?

Yes, as long as you never want to do similarly for the inside.

You might want to make your internal domain a sub-domain, though, like
    internal.tradersdata.com.

Then, you won't have a conflict if you ever have an external name, like,
say, "www" web server, and then later want to use that same name
internally.  Then, from the inside,  www.tradersdata.com gets the
external address, while www.internal.tradersdata.com gets the intranet
web server.

Tks        | <mailto:Bob_Vance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511