MX and DNS settings

Eric Leslie eric.leslie at metzgers.com
Thu Sep 21 21:05:51 UTC 2000

Found out some more problems with my situation. I am unsure if these are
contributing to my mail problem or not.

I had the web hosting company remove the extra preference line after showing
that it wasn't required. They finally agreed and that change was made this
afternoon. Anyway, I did a nslookup of ANY records for my mail server
(media.metzgers.com) and it came up with a listing of an additional TWO MX
records pointing to pop.media.metzgers.com. I assume that this isn't
correct.

So, now, I have MX records on my MX records. The chain stops at
pop.media.metzgers.com but it opens up another alias to
www.media.metzgers.com at that level.

So, instead of just having www.metzgers.com, metzgers.com, and
media.metzgers.com; I also have www.media.metzgers.com and
pop.media.metzgers.com.

Does this MX record on an MX record sound like a problem? Or would it not
contribute to anything? In my mail server, the maillog file had a lot of
entries with problems with unable to get the canonical name of client, and
the problem with that may be that the canonical name was set at
www.media.metzgers.com, which isn't correct.

Eric Leslie
InfoSys/New Media
Metzgers Printing & Prepress